Sunday, March 13, 2016

Don't Be Afraid

In the middle of the eighteenth century, cold water therapy was being used to treat ailments ranging from heat stroke to melancholy.  One standard therapy involved dunking society ladies who were suffering from anxiety in to the freezing sea until the effects of cold and suffocation caused terror and panic.  When these women were sufficiently scared, they would be lifted out of the water, stripped out of their soaking wet flannel smock, wrapped in warm blankets, given vigorous back and foot rubs, then sat down for a cup of hot tea.  The adrenaline from the shock of the cold was thought to have a soothing effect on the body.  This therapy was also offered to men, but they took their dips in the sea completely naked.



One could assume that these pilgrimages to seaside towns for healing and rest were the beginings of the resort towns as we know them today.  Such a holistic (and somewhat successful) approach to illnesses such as tuberculosis and leprosy must have gained quick popularity among the masses who were suffering from various maladies in their dark, depressing cities.

Personally, I know that I feel an actual physical change in myself after spending time by the sea.  It could be imagined- but who cares?  It never fails to be a cure for when I'm feeling sad, frustrated, or anxious.  



I haven't tried to dunk myself in the freezing ocean in a flannel smock yet.  If I could find someone willing to provide me with the post-dunk back/foot rub and warm blanket and tea, I might consider it.

If you're looking for some beach therapy this weekend, the weather may be perfect for that. There are not too many crazy fun things happening in any of the resort towns, but many of the shops and restaurants are open again and some of the bars/nightclubs are back to offering live entertainment.


I am beyond excited to see the return of Spring and watch the beach towns wake up from their long naps.  It's time for me to start spending more time at the beach house and taking care of spring yard duties and thinking about repairs and renovations that need to be done.  I figure, if I get this stuff out of the way now, I have the rest of the warm season to relax.

Enjoy the Spring weather that's coming our way and don't forget to dip a toe or two in the sea!



No comments: