Tuesday, February 24, 2015

O Captain! My Captain!

I feel I must take a break from attempting to be witty and informative for a moment.  My father passed away a few weeks ago and I would like to dedicate this post to him.

This really has nothing to do with the beach.  My father was 100% Irish and, therefore, was not a sun-loving man.  He would take us on vacations to Ocean City, MD, where he would sit on a shady balcony, or in the air conditioned comfort of a rented oceanfront condo.  My father never had the chance to visit my beach house or see the happiness that it brings to me and my family.

I had the honor of writing and presenting the eulogy at his funeral and I was grateful that he made that such an easy task for me.  My father was a kind, generous, and loving person who always made those around him smile.

William H. Creegan
April 6, 1943 - January 31, 2015

Although my Dad was very ill for the last several years of his life, I never expected that I would miss him this much after he was gone.  I feel like a part of me is missing and always will be.

Saying good-bye to my father was the hardest thing I've ever had to do, but I'm glad that I had the chance to do it.  We shared a great love and were at peace with each other.  When I last saw him, a few hours before he passed, we both said "I love you".  And, in the end, that's really all that matters.

"O Captain!  My Captain!  Our fearful trip is done,
The ship has weather'd every rack, the prize we sought is won,..."
Walt Whitman


O
 
 












No comments: