Monday, November 24, 2014

Giving Thanks and Taking Detours




With my son's wedding over, I can now get back to longing for the beach between visits.  I'm heading back down this weekend to check on the house and, maybe, check out the Winterfest of Lights at Northside Park in Ocean City (which I can walk to from my house).  Click on the above link to see a promo for the event, which started last weekend.  Adults pay $5 to ride the "train" through the park.  Children under 11 ride for free.





I plan to spend Thanksgiving in Wilmington, then head down late Thursday night or early Friday morning.  Either way, I plan to avoid the Tanger Outlets in Rehoboth Beach, which are open 6 PM - 2 AM on Thanksgiving and will re-open at 6 AM on Black Friday. It seems that there is only one good way to avoid the madness...Route 113 (ugh).  Anyone who knows me knows how I hate that highway.  I think it's the strangest stretch of roadway in the state.  Where else in Delaware can you find a pristine Baptist church, a state prison, a Walmart, a luxury resort furnishing store, and a lot of buildings that look like the one below all within a mile of each other?





Route 113 sucks





My daughter, Amanda, on the OC inlet jetty
On a more serious note, I have a lot to be thankful for this year.  I accomplished my dream of owning a beach house, my son married a great girl, and the Philadelphia Eagles are having an awesome season.  I am especially thankful this year for my daughter, Amanda.  She is the one person on earth I can go to if I start to feel crazy, she is a great companion, and has a generous spirit.  I'm pretty lucky to have her in my life.

Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving filled with lots of food, fun, family, and friends!











No comments: