Monday, June 29, 2015

Holiday By The Sea

fireworks and American flag

If you're heading to Rehoboth Beach to see fireworks this Saturday (July 4th...you know...the day that you're supposed to see fireworks), you're out of luck.  For some reason, Rehoboth Beach will have their fireworks display on Sunday, July 5 this year.  The show starts at 9:15. Too bad that we're all gonna miss it!

If you're in Ocean City, you can catch fireworks on the real Independence Day on the beach at Division Street or at Northside Park (125th St.).  Both locations have pre-firework concerts starting at 8 PM. Fireworks start at 9:30.

There is so much stuff happening at the beaches this weekend.  I'm looking forward to continuing my relaxing vacation with my family, eating ice cream and other bad stuff, reading an actual book, and taking a few naps.

Maybe we'll check out Ocean City's hottest new restaurant,  Ropewalk at 82nd St.  This bayside eatery just opened a few weeks ago and has been packed ever since.  Much like their Fenwick Island location, there seems to be long waits for tables.  The menu looks good and they have some decent drink specials with a steel drum band during happy hour.  

snl animated GIF
“…and the password is ‘DIABEETUS’.”

I was shopping for a new swimsuit this week and I found myself wondering why I wear a swimsuit to the beach.  I haven't fully submerged myself in the ocean for years and I don't have access to a pool.  In fact, it seems that almost everyone on the beach is wearing a swimsuit, but most are sitting under an umbrella or wearing a cover-up.  The ones who aren't are totally dry.

When I think about it, I think that I wear it in case I get hot and want to cool myself off in the ocean.  I mean, why else would I parade my near-naked, voluptuous, almost 50 year old body in front of hundreds of people when I won't wear a dress without Spanx?

What is it about the beach that makes us feel like it's o.k. to go "natural" and shed most of clothes, along with our inhibition?  I get it.  We're hot and sweaty.  The ocean breeze feels so good against our skin.  And, let's face it, who the hell is looking at a near-naked, voluptuous, almost 50 year old anyway?

It's actually really cool that people can "let go" and relax while wearing their bikinis - whether they be size 8 or 18 - even if they never see a drop of water.



Enjoy the holiday and everything awesome that the beaches have to offer this week.  God Bless America!!




No comments: