Tuesday, July 07, 2015

7/10 - 7/12 Beach Weekend: Bulls, Billy Joel, Buckets & Big Band


I survived vacation and July 4th and I'm hoping that my beach house did too.  We left town around 11:30 PM on Saturday night so that we could beat all of the traffic that would be heading out of town on Sunday.  When I left, there were still drunken idiots launching fireworks on my street.  I was a bit nervous about leaving, but my nervous Yorkshire Terrier was pretty happy to take off.  

My beach vacation had a lot of laughs and good time spent with family.  The weather was nice for most of the week.  Like everyone else, we headed for the outlets in Rehoboth on the one really rainy day.  After a wet and crowded shopping trip, we went in to town and tried Otto's Sandwich Shop on First St. (and I'm really glad we did...yummmm.....).

Otto's Sandwich Shop in Rehoboth.  A little bit of Philly @ the beach.



Other highlights include:
  • Sitting on the balcony at the Grotto Pizza in Bethany on a beautiful evening
  • Sitting on the deck at Harpoon Hanna's in Fenwick for Tiki Bar Karaoke on a beautiful evening
  • Sitting on the sand at Ropewalk in OC on a really beautiful evening
  • People watching on the beach and boardwalk
  • Papa Grandes Nachos
  • Northside Park fireworks
  • Art's Alive 
  • Harris Teeter Pie Sale
  • Construction Baby (My daughter-in-law's new "pretend friend")
This coming weekend will be pretty busy at the beach.  We're now in the peak vacation weeks, so I expect crowds and traffic.  Everyone needs to seriously slow down and be careful of pedestrians and cyclists.  Many of the people in the resort towns right now may not be familiar with the area and they're acting like they don't know what the hell they're doing. 

On Friday 7/10, there is a Billy Joel tribute band (guy) named Michael John performing at the Bethany Bandstand.  His show starts at 7:30.

Michael John's Billy Joel Tribute is coming to Bethany this weekend

On Saturday 7/11, start the day by stopping by the Delaware Seashore Sandcastle Contest at 9:30 (judging is at 2 PM) at the South Inlet Day Area.  Then, head to Dewey Beach for the 19th Annual Dewey Running of the Bull at Starboard.

Pretend you're in Pamplona and run with the "bull" in Dewey 

In Rehoboth Beach, the Delmarva Big Band is performing at the Rehoboth Bandstand at 8 PM.  At 10 PM Clear Space Theatre (20 Baltimore Ave, Rehoboth Beach) opens their first, late-night comedy improv, the "Late-R Night Show".



If you're in Ocean City, you can help support the Greek economy by attending the Greek Festival is at the Convention Center from 7/10 - 7/13. Admission is free and they will probably have really good foods that have "Vs" and "Ks" in their names.


I'm not sure what I'll be getting in to this weekend.  I really would like to see the sand castles on Saturday afternoon, but that depends on whether or not I'm going to feel like leaving the beach.  I'm trying to enjoy the crowds and not let the extra noise and traffic bother me..  It's sort of hard to believe that, before you know it, the beach towns will be quiet again and fall will be here.  Until then, y'all keep heading to the beach, drinking too much, and entertaining me!




No comments: