Monday, October 12, 2015

Vacation Highlights Volume I

Day 1:  Friday, October 9
A sea gull grabbed my DeVitos Deli hoagie out of my hand while I was sitting on the beach at 136th St. today.  Seriously - the whole damn thing.
 
The dune crossings are completely filled with sand and you need to slide down a big drop to access the sand.  Ocean City doesn't seem as bad as the Delaware beaches, but it's still a bit tricky.
 

Dune crossing at 136th St. completely filled with sand
 
Bethany Beach dune crossing (most are now closed to public)
We spend the afternoon painting the deck in front of our house, then had a great dinner at Papa Grandes in Fenwick Island just before the incoming cold front brought the rain.  The outdoor deck was open and a cool breeze was blowing in off of the bay.  After dinner, we headed to Harris Teeter in Selbyville for much needed vacation supplies - like $9 vanilla soda and strawberry licorice.

Day 2:  Saturday, October 10
Since our dog has been acting a bit strange for the past few days (he doesn't want to eat), we ended up braving the Endless Summer Cruisin' weekend traffic on routes 528 and 50 to find the closest pet store.  We stopped at Petco in the White Marlin Mall for some high calorie nutritional supplement and some "feel better toys" for Rude Boy.

"Feel better you will"
Rudy and his healing Yoda
 
Later that day, we stopped at Claddagh on the Shore in Fenwick Island for some sandwiches in the bar.  It was pretty crowded and the Prime Rib cheese steaks were delicious as always.  Service was great and we left feeling full and tired.  I'm really glad that we gave this place a second chance.

Day 3:  Sunday, October 11
If I could have ordered a perfect weather day, today would have been it.  I took advantage of the mild temps and sunshine and finished my deck painting.  Later in the morning, we visited an open house on Lighthouse Rd (Route 54) that was absolutely beautiful, but a little too "waterfront" for my taste!


Great house, but built in the marshy area next to Montego Bay (literally -  
check out the liquid back yard!)

 
For Sunday dinner, we finally headed to the top of the Fenwick Inn to dine at Peaky's Rooftop.  Although the food was so-so, we will be going back just because of the beautiful views, great prices,  and friendly service.  We witnessed yet another beautiful sunset over the bay and dined overlooking the ocean.  After dinner, we headed to Bethany Beach for a nice stroll down the quiet boardwalk.  What a beautiful night!

The view from Peaky's rooftop looking South
 

My neighborhood and a great sunset
Day 4:  Monday, October 12
I got sunburned today.  I sat on the beach for about 1.5 hours and my arms and legs are burnt.  It's another great weather day (73 degrees, sunny).  It is also our 30th wedding anniversary.

Beautiful day to be lounging lazily by the sea


My husband gave me a beautiful pearl pendant.  I gave him a book and some soap (he wins this year).  We are heading to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse in West OC for dinner to celebrate in style (actually we're going to use up a gift card.

Todays exciting news:  I saw some Target items for sale at Roses today.  I hope that they get more of their cast-offs!  Also - TJMaxx in Gold Coast Mall is opening this weekend.  My life is a bit more complete now.

That's the latest from the beach.  I will try to update later this week - if I'm not too busy doing fun and exciting things like going to Roses and nursing sick pups!

No comments: