Monday, October 05, 2015

Rock Me Like A Hurricane

Hurricane Joaquin was headed for the East coast last week and a Nor'Easter was threatening to bring high winds and rain to the DE/MD coastal region.  But I was completely relaxed.  I wasn't planning to travel to the beach last weekend anyway.  Then, my daughter sent me a text asking me if  the patio furniture at my beach house was put away. 

Fuck.

After a rainy two hour drive to OC last Thursday night and an even rainier ride home later that night, I was able to climb in to bed back in Wilmington knowing that my bistro table was not going to end up flying off of my deck and wedging itself in to my neighbors Mercedes Benz.  And, as it turns out, that probably wouldn't have been an issue anyway.  Better safe than sorry, right?

Image result for lawn furniture hurricane joaquin


This was the first hurricane threat that I've had to deal with since purchasing my beach house and, I have to admit, it wasn't fun.  While I was fairly certain that my house would be safe, it was hard to watch the videos and see photos of the downtown area under water.  I saw streets that I had just walked on the weekend before completely closed off to the public and mountains of sand covering the boardwalk.

Fortunately, the town of Ocean City is working hard to clean up the mess.  

Sand Plowing on the boards 10/5/15

Hopefully all will be cleaned up and ready for Endless Summer Cruisin' this weekend. According to their FB page, all events are going forward as scheduled and, though I'm not sure why, you can meet Joyce DeWitt of "Three's Company" fame this weekend.  You can also attend a Ronnie Milsap concert at the convention center on 10/10, or participate in the Tire Change Challenge.  So, if you're in to that kind of stuff, check out their web site link above and plan a trip to OC this weekend.  The weather is supposed to be really nice and, hopefully, the town will be dried out by then.

There are soooo many things to do at the beach this coming weekend.  Some things that were canceled last weekend were re-scheduled for this weekend, plus there are the events that were already scheduled for this weekend.  It's gonna be crazy.  Here's a quick rundown:

Friday 10/9:  On your way in to town, stop by Epworth United Methodist Church at 19285 Holland Glade Rd, Rehoboth Beach for Food Truck Friday.  Ten food vendors will be parked to offer a wide variety of menu items including Mojo Loco, Mama Mia, and Hot Dogs on the Beach.  There will be live music by John Inkster.  Proceeds benefit Epworth's Food and Love Soup Kitchen and their Skate Park.  

Sea Hogg will be set up for Food Truck Friday in Rehoboth this week.  Fried Frog Legs...mmmm.

Saturday 10/10:  Silver Block Party at CAMP Rehoboth 12-4 PM.  The 2nd block of Baltimore Ave. in Rehoboth Beach will be closed to traffic and filled with street vendors, artists, local musicians, food, and a possible appearance by one or more Madonna or Cher impersonators.  Admission is $10 donation.

Friday 10/9 & Saturday 10/10:  Help make a difference in the lives of those with Down Syndrome by participating in the 10th Annual Boardwalk Buddy Walk.  Buddy Fest weekend starts with a party on Friday night at the Lions Club in Dewey
Beach and continues with a walk down the boards in Rehoboth Beach on Saturday at 9 AM.  All participants get a free T-shirt.  Registration for the walk is at 7:30 AM on 10/10.

Dewey Goes Pink re-scheduled for this Saturday
Saturday 10/10:  The Dewey Goes Pink 2015 race/walk was supposed to be last weekend, but was changed due to weather.  Participants can register at 9:30 AM or by clicking here.  This event has raised a whopping $136,000 for our local Breast Cancer Coalition in just 4 short years of existence. 


Sunday 10/11:  Help support the Route 1 Rehoboth Beach Volunteer Fire Company by joining the Greene Turtle Rehoboth Ave 5K.  Get a great glimpse of the ocean as you run and get Greene Turtle food and beer when you're done!

I will be making my usual Thursday night trek to the beach and staying there on vacation until October 18th and to celebrate my wedding anniversary with my beach buddy husband.  I hope to make a few new discoveries to report on and enjoy beautiful fall beach weather.  

If I'm not too busy doing fun vacation things like sleeping or finishing the last season of Game of Thrones, I'll try to update again next week.









No comments: