Sunday, April 03, 2016

Inside Scoop from a Sometimes Local

I don't consider myself a local, but I find myself increasingly amused by people who are quite obviously tourists to the DE/MD resort towns.  Does that make me sound snotty? 

While waiting in line for Uber Bagels last weekend, I was behind a woman who just didn't know how it was done (does she order the cream cheese and lox here or over there?  does she get her own coffee, or do they do it?).  The teenage clerk who was waiting on her was being very patient and I just had to smile to myself because it was one of the few times in my life that I felt like I was "in the know".

As we gear up for another awesome Summer season, here are some other things that I've learned now that I am a part-time local:

1.  Always obey the speed limits while driving through Bethany, South Bethany, and Fenwick Island.  These towns are speed traps, there are cops hiding everywhere, and they will pull you over and ticket you.  



2.  Don't pull over on Route 1 to look at Snow Geese.  Those same cops that pull people over in South Bethany will ask you to move along.

3.  Time your beach trips so that you are not arriving and leaving with everyone else.  Heading to or from the beach during off-peak times makes the rides so much nicer.

4.  Candy Kitchen Fudge - meh

5.  Thrasher's French Fries - great (especially when covered in malt vinegar)





6.  The best pizza that I've found in OCMD so far is a toss-up between Lombardi's and Ponzetti's

7.  The dramatic blue uplighting on the Indian River bridge turns off at midnight





8.  The back of the lifeguard chairs in OCMD show instructions on how to escape from rip currents.

9.  Many parts of coastal Highway in OCMD always flood when it rains.  Even a little bit of rain can cause some pretty serious puddles that can be difficult for smaller vehicles to go through.

10.  I now know the difference between a shark and a stingray (I think)

11.  Sea Shell City in Fenwick has a pretty cool FREE museum on the top floor that features shipwreck treasures.  

12.  The absolute best time to be at the beach is during the "shoulder seasons" of Spring and Fall.  The only thing you can't do is swim in the ocean (and you probably don't do that anyway).

12.  Bethany Beach has the most beautiful floral displays.  Flowers everywhere - on the lamp posts, in the medians, and in pots on the sidewalks.




13.  Drop the heavy purse or tote bag and carry just the necessities.  It will make all of the walking you'll be doing at the beach so much easier.

14.  I have extremely good luck when it comes to finding choice parking spaces everywhere I go.  But, if you're not me, you don't always need to park on the main streets in Rehoboth and Bethany.  If you can walk a block or two, you can usually find a spot on one of the side streets without much trouble.  It will save you time and frustration.

15.  There are really such things as beach bunnies.  Check out the dunes next time you cross.  They're pretty cute.




16.  Sea gulls will grab your food out of your hands.  If you're eating lunch on the beach, you might want to cover your sandwich!

17.  If you want to ride the tram on the OCMD boardwalk, you must have cash in the EXACT amount.  The operators will not give out change.


18.  Avoid the public restrooms in Rehoboth Beach on busy summer days and nights.  If you need to go, hold it in or go to a restaurant and buy something so that you can use their restroom (and even those aren't great, but they are a bit less vomit-inducing).

19.  When it's raining, everyone will go to the outlets.  And I do mean everyone.

20.  At Uber Bagels, you order everything at the counter on the right then move to the counter on the left for pick up. 

Now you know.

Enjoy the beach this weekend.  Not too much scheduled in any of the resort towns.  Go and make your own fun!







No comments: