Thursday, April 14, 2016

Pulling Mussels From A Shell

Almost 8 years ago, I noticed that my belly felt a bit itchy after eating a massive amount of shrimp.  It could have been dry skin, or a reaction to my laundry soap or cologne.  But, in my mind, I had developed a horrible shellfish allergy.  One that was sure to kill me if I swallowed another creature in the crustacean or mollusk family.

I decided to avoid all shellfish until about two weeks ago, when I summoned up the courage to go to an allergist and find out if my allergy was real.  


C, L, SH (crab, lobster, shrimp).  No reaction.
Just a bunch of freckles. 
It wasn't.

All of those uneaten crabcakes, shrimp cocktails, broiled scallops, and lobster tails!  All of that deliciousness wasted because of my fear of not knowing and not wanting to know (and the idea of being poked by a million tiny needles to find out the truth).  

Now that I know the truth, I have to make up for lost time.  Therefore, I have decided to spend this summer on a mission to find the Best Crabcake at the Beach.

I started my journey last weekend at the Cottage Cafe in Bethany Beach.  I ordered the crab cake dinner, which comes with a decent size crab cake and two sides of your choice for $20.99 (get two cakes for $27.99).  The menu claims that this cake is award-winning, but I have to say that it wasn't the best one I've ever eaten (I know it's been a while, but I do remember what good crab cakes taste like).  It was a bit mustard-y and the meat wasn't as lumpy as I would have liked it to be.  I also think it could have been cooked a bit longer.  I'm not saying it was bad.  I would eat it again.  I'm just starting my quest for the best, so I'm not going to go crazy over the first one I eat.  I'm giving the Cottage Cafe Crab Cake 3 claws (out of 4).




The weather for this weekend  is looking good - a bit chilly, but sunny.  I'm thinking of heading down late Friday night or early Saturday morning.  There are a couple of things going on in Rehoboth and Dewey this weekend.  If you're in to country music (and I think everyone except me is), head to the Rusty Rudder for Dewey Beach Country Fest for two nights, two stages 14 bands, and probably more than a few pick-up trucks and middle-aged women wearing boots.

I'll be looking out for a place to do my next crab cake taste test.  If anyone has a favorite, I'm open to suggestions!  Just comment below or message me on my lame-ass facebook page (suburban mermaid).

Go out and make the most of this awesome Spring weather and head to the beach!







No comments: