Wednesday, July 13, 2016

The Munching Mermaid



Purple Moose
Parched Pelican
Greene Turtle
Crabby Pig
Blue Fish
Salty Dog
Big Pecker's
Lazy Lizard
Bad Monkey

The above names are all real establishments in Ocean City, MD.  I think I may have discovered the secret to the successful family restaurants that line Coastal Highway.  It's a very simple formula and has proven effective for almost all who have followed it.

Here it is:

DESCRIPTOR + FISH/MAMMAL/REPTILE = SUCCESSFUL FAMILY RESTAURANT


Knowing this, I am tempted to open my own establishment.  I've been thinking about what I should call it and, of course, have compiled a list of possible monikers.  Oh - and don't forget to put the word, "The" in front of all of these:

Fat Flamingo
Ghetto Gecko
Leaky Labrador
Hungover Hippo
Pimpled Plankton
Stinky Scallop
Chubby Eel

Imagine, if you will, any one of these names on a lighted sign, written fun or frilly font, with a cartoon image of the animal as described and three words written directly underneath - Ribs, Chicken, & Seafood.


Ribs, Chicken, & Seafood

See what I mean?


Sort of makes you wonder why society finds animated creatures of varying colors appetizing.  

Speaking of seafood, I tried several crab cakes while on vacation last week.  

Here are the latest rankings:





Nice view from OC360  

The new OC360 has a very limited and casual menu.  It seems to be ideal for hotel guests looking for a snack or room service.  The service was very good, but the crabcakes were probably not made there.  They tasted very similar to the frozen Phillips crab cakes that I buy from Costco.  Meh.




By far, the best crab cake that I've tasted since overcoming my seafood "fallergy".  Very lumpy and not a ton of filler.  I got the sandwich, but I'm looking forward to getting the entree next time.






This crab cake looked better than it tasted.  It had a little too much shell mixed in and I wasn't crazy about the tartar sauce that accompanied it.  




Not sure what I liked better about this meal, the view at sunset in OC or the crab cake sandwich.  Both were wonderful.  Looking forward to my next visit!


Ropewalk OC - good food and great views


Speaking of great views.  Here is a video of the view from my front deck on the evening of July 4th.  This went on for a couple of hours after the fireworks at Northside Park ended.  

 Fuck yeah.

And here is a photo taken at the same time from the inside of my house.  We wrapped the pups up tightly so that they didn't feel afraid.


Oh Fuck

It's pretty exciting at the beach right now.  I love seeing everyone relaxing and having a good time.  

I'll be heading back this weekend for more fun and crab cake taste testing.  Keep cool!











No comments: