Monday, August 10, 2015

August 15-16 Beach Weekend

Receipt Tape Tales

Sometimes, when I use the self-check at the grocery store, I find other people's receipts stuck to the corner of mine.  This week I had two of them dangling from my receipt when I went to the Harris Teeter in Selbyville.  Whenever this happens to me, I like to imagine what the people who left these receipts were up to when they bought their items, then walked out without waiting for their receipt to print.  Perhaps the person who purchased the blueberries was expecting her kid and grandkids to come in to town this weekend and she wanted to make them some blueberry pancakes for breakfast.  Maybe the person who purchased the breakfast sandwich and the donut is simply...depressed.  It's probably because I'm a bit voyeuristic, but I like these little glimpses in to other peoples lives so that I can let my imagination fill in the blanks.

I had a pretty quiet beach weekend.  The weather was a bit gloomy, but I took advantage of the breaks in the rain to take some nice walks in Northside Park and enjoy small glimpses of sunlight and rainbows like this one that hung over my backyard on Saturday morning:











I also found this adorable Little Free Library by the bay in Northside Park.  No graffiti AND a copy of Flowers for Algernon?  I have a feeling that we're not in Wilmington anymore.

The weather this coming weekend looks like it's going to be beautiful.  Here are a couple of things I would like to check out while I'm there

  • Ocean City, MD is offering summertime sunset horse and carriage rides every night from 6-11 PM.  Rides start at De Lazy Lizard on 1st St. and the Bay and travel 15 blocks. Price is $10 for adults.  Kids under 3 are free.   For reservations or more info, call Randy Davis at 443-783-1409. 


  • The Carousel Hotel in OCMD is offering a FREE ice skating show again this summer.  Performances are every night at 6:30 PM. 


  • The OC Beach Ultimate Classic Frisbee Tournament is this weekend on the beach at Somerset St.  Tournament runs from 9 AM to 5 PM Saturday and Sunday with a showcase game at 6 PM on Saturday night.  Might be cool to see this while strolling the boards.


I'm guessing that this weekend will be one of the last really busy ones.  School is starting soon for many kids and, pretty soon, those of us who love the shoulder seasons will be free to drive and walk without traffic and crowds.  Until then, I'm looking forward to a few warm and sunny days on the sand.  

I leave you with this photo that I took on Friday night while standing on the pier in Northside Park.  No vibrant sunset that night, but choppy water and beautiful clouds can be just as breathtaking.  I'm in love with this place.










No comments: