Wednesday, August 19, 2015

G Rated Beach Weekend Ahead

I'm excited to be hosting my brother and his wife and kids this coming weekend.  That means that I probably won't be taking my weekly walk to the Tiki Bar at Harpoon Hannas and all meals will consist of hot dogs, pizza, or chicken fingers.

It has been so long since I've been at the beach with anyone under the age of 12.  I know that there are a million things to keep them occupied down there.  I just need to find the ones that offer the quietest volume and highest chance of making them tired!  Seriously, I'm sure they'll have a blast and I'm really looking forward to it.



Rides on the OC boardwalk


Here are some things I'm thinking they might like:

There's a location at the end of my street on 136th St. This would be a perfect late night activity and there is an arcade across the street.  All kids like mini golf, right?

2.  Jolly Roger Amusement Park
Ummm....maybe not

3.  Live Animals at Golf Down Under (Fenwick Island)
I saw a sign for this last weekend, so I checked it out on Facebook.  Educational animal program, Barn Hill Preserve is offering kids the chance to meet some of their fuzzy guests from 5-10 PM on weekend nights.  There is a kangaroo named "Roodini" and ....oh my....a hedgehog!

Yeah.  I may actually have to go see this little guy
4.  Netflix
When they're not on the go or, in case of rain, I'm loading up my queue with lots of kid friendly movies and tv shows (even though they may actually be fans of Orange Is The New Black).  I just don't want to be responsible for them learning any new words this weekend.

It is so amazing to see how quickly summer is winding down at the beach.  The drop in the crowds on the sand over the past two weeks has been clearly visible (no - I am not complaining).  While we are sweating through 90 degree temps, the peak vacation weeks are officially over.

The events at the DE/MD beaches are not so plentiful this coming weekend.  If you're hanging around OC on Sunday night, you can catch fireworks at Northside Park and the laser show on the beach next to the boardwalk.  Other than that, we're entering the season of 5K runs for charity and craft fairs (which I could tell you all about, but it's too hot today to even think about running or walking around a dusty craft fair).

Wish I had more to chat about this week.  For now, I'm just waiting for everyone to clear the sand so that I can get a bit closer to the water and not have to listen to my sand neighbor's country music.

Until then, stay cool and hydrated.




No comments: