Monday, August 03, 2015

Burnt Soles and Gratitude

The sand on the beach last Friday afternoon was so hot that I'm pretty sure it melted part of my flip-flop.  It was, seriously, the hottest sand that I have ever walked on in my life - and I've walked on a lot of sand.  This past weekend's 90+ temps and clear skies made it a great weekend to take a dip in the ocean or enjoy any activity on or near a body of water.  It made my yard work miserable and prompted me to spend the afternoon in my air conditioned house on Saturday.

I offered to drive my daughter in law and a couple of her friends to Dewey Beach on Saturday night.   While they were there, I headed to Dogfish Head Brew Pub in Rehoboth Beach to check out The Toasters.  It was fun to see some hard core fans come out to skank.  It was good energy and I was thrilled to be a part of it.  It was a ska-filled weekend that started with English Beat on Thursday night.  


The Toasters at Dogfish Head Brew Pub 8/1/15
After the show, I patiently waited for a nasty thunderstorm to end under the safety of the Rehoboth Beach City Hall awning.  Just after midnight, the rain seemed to have stopped enough for me to take a stroll down the avenue.  I saw some really interesting sights.  Let's just say that Rehoboth at night is a little edgier than Rehoboth during the day.  It was all good though and it was cool to see the passing storm light up the sky over the ocean.

There are times during these busy and beautiful weekends that I find myself smiling because I am having so much fun.  I'm experiencing things I never did before and I'm finding joy in small things (like walking down a very wet Rehoboth Avenue alone after midnight).  Sometimes, I feel like my heart is so full of gratitude that it will burst into a million pieces.  I am thankful for silly things -  like the delicious corn I found at Harris Teeter on Friday, morning, the vibrant pink blooms on the Crape Myrtle trees in my yard, the rainbow that hung over the ocean on my way in to town on Thursday night, and even sand so hot that it burns my soles.  

There are a few happenings this weekend:

On Saturday and Sunday (this week and next), the Rehoboth Art League is holding their 42nd annual Fine Art & Craft Show.  This event is rain or shine.  Be sure to check their web site for parking info.

In Ocean City, artists will take to the streets during the Art League of OC's annual Plein Air event (August 6-9).  You can check out the competition at their new home on 94th St. and purchase works before the paint dries.

Tickets are still available for Graham Nash at the new Performing Arts Center in OC.  Prices range from $41 - $56.

Rumor has it that Dave Grohl is vacationing with his family in the Delaware beach region this week.  

This coming weekend promises to be a quiet one.  The weather is looking iffy, but maybe we'll finally start think about our house painting project.  Maybe...




No comments: