Monday, August 18, 2014

Pole Dancing and Other Fun Family Entertainment

Good Monday Morning!  I'm back to work and moving sort of slow because I'm still in "beach" mode.  This past weekend had beautiful weather and the crowds are starting to die down a bit.  I suppose a lot of kids are back to school already or are getting ready to start this week.


My 17 year old niece joined me this weekend and, after some time on the beach Friday afternoon, we had to stop by a few of the coolest places to shop in OC.  We started with Quiet Storm on Coastal Highway, where we found all of their summer clothes on sale and some cool things for Fall.  Next, we stopped at KCoast on 35th & Coastal which also had some cool Fall items and sale prices on summer items, then headed to West OC to shop at the Tanger Outlets, where my niece found a t-shirt for $3.99 at Aero.  On the way home, we stopped at Ron Jon Surf Shop and Alexis Jade (next store to Ron Jon).  It was sort of a whirlwind tour of all of the places that a 17 year old girl would want to shop in OC!


Saturday night, we took my niece, my sister and her husband to the OC boardwalk.  It was so crowded that they had closed the inlet parking lot.  The Free Henna Tattoo stands were not as plentiful as the last time I was there (apparently, there was a sweep of some sort), but the newest attraction - a female pole dancer wearing a bikini - had the boardwalk completely clogged at 2nd St.  Personally, I don't have a problem with this.  Many people in OC do.  Here's the full story:  http://www.wboc.com/story/26301886/ocean-city-pole-dancer-speaks-out.  She wasn't really dancing (I didn't hear any music) and she was just doing some tricks on the pole - not unlike the physical feats that were taking place near the inlet done by a young man with chains and a ladder.  Are people discriminating against this woman because she's female and pole tricks are, primarily, done in strip clubs?  She was no more scantily clad than most women on the beach during the day and her moves were more acrobatic than sexual.  If I had small children with me, I suppose I could keep walking to have their photo taken with the obviously unlicensed snowman from the latest Disney movie (which I do have a problem with).  Lighten up, people.  Summer is almost over.  The pole dancer will go back to her club in DC and you have a whole year to recover from the sight of a beautiful (and very flexible) woman twisting around a pole for 5 minutes.


Traffic is getting better.  Nights are getting cooler.  Crowds are getting lighter.  This is the best time of year at the beach!  Can't wait to head back in a few days!

No comments: