Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Welcome to Summer 2014!


For most of my life, I have headed to the beach for vacations or special day trips.  It is where most of my fondest memories were formed and where I feel most at home.  There is a moment, every time I go there, when I see the ocean, take a deep breath, and feel like my soul has been “reset”. 

 For many years, my husband and I dreamed of owning a home near the ocean.  This year, that dream came true when we bought a house in Ocean City, MD.  It’s within walking distance of the beach and the bay and, when I’m there, I don’t want to leave.  I try to get there every weekend and carry my good “beachy” feeling back to North Wilmington with me.  Usually, by Thursday, I’m ready for another fix! 
 
My beach house!
 

 This blog is the perfect way for me to share my discoveries and document my adventures in this amazing stretch of sand that I now call my second home.

 I’m heading back down this weekend and looking forward to the predicted perfect weather.  The past few weekends have brought us some beautiful, breezy beach days and I never thought I’d be so thrilled to have a car trunk full of sand!

 Review:  Barn 34
This past weekend, we decided to try the new Barn 34, which is housed in what used to be the Christmas Spirit store at 3400 Coastal Highway in Ocean City.  It has a rustic, barn-like décor and a fun and friendly atmosphere.  On the night that we were there, the place was slowly filling up with Baltimore Ravens fans in town for the 2014 Ravens Beach Bash.  Since I bleed Philadelphia Eagles green, I had to respect that I was outnumbered by the purple people, relax, and enjoy their excitement.  The lunch/dinner menu is not extensive – mainly sandwiches, burgers, and salads.  We shared a delicious, warm dip with corn, cream cheese, peppers, and a cheddar topping as an appetizer (so good I was searching for a recipe for it when I got home).  My grilled chicken breast sandwich that was tender and tasty with lots of yummy toppings.  The hand-cut fries reminded me of boardwalk beach fries – in a good way!  My husband tried one of the 1/3 lb burgers and found it a bit pink in the middle for his liking, but seemed to enjoy it. 

The only negative I will mention is the glaring sun coming in through the front windows while we were dining.  There was really no way to get away from it and it seemed to be bothering other diners in our section as well (if you have to wear sunglasses inside, it’s too bright).  I would imagine, as the weather gets warmer, this might become a bigger problem for them.  I’m sure they don’t want to ruin the bright, airy, rustic feel of the restaurant, but blinds or shades wouldn’t detract much if they’re only down during the sunny time of the day.

 Barn 34 also serves breakfast/brunch and lunch. We’ll definitely visit again soon!  Find them on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/barn34oc

 

 

No comments: