Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Beat-Up Beach Home Decor


Gone are the days when you pick up a decorative item for your home and put it back on the shelf because it has a scratch on it.  People are now paying lots of money on "distressed" home décor. 

This trend seems to be a bit more prevalent at the beach, where it gives a home or condo a more rustic, surf shack feel.


I admit that I like it.  I paid way too much money for a set of nesting tables for my living room that look like they have been left outside for 10 years with no protection.  I also have been scouring antique stores to find items that have a "weathered" look or have been restored to look like they've been used. 


I love Remember When on Rt. 54 in Selbyville, DE.  This store takes used items and paints them in cool, beachy colors, then gently distresses them to give them a weathered or rustic look.  I found two great stools there that I am now using as plant stands on my sun porch.  Eclectic on Coastal Hwy. in  Fenwick Island is another store that is re-painting old furniture in beachy colors and also offers antique items.
"Distressed" stool from Remember When in Selbyville, DE

I found an old, metal pail from my father-in-laws garage that, at one time, was painted mint green on the outside.  I am now using it to hold rolled-up beach towels.  The only thing I did to it was wash it out. 
Distressed metal pail from my father-in-laws garage

"Distressed" frames with old-timey beach photos
A few weeks ago, I purchased some new, wooden frames at a discount store in N. Wilmington.  They were painted solid blue, so I took a penny and some sandpaper to rough them up a little bit.  I searched the internet for some old-timey black and white beach photos found a couple of funny ones to pop in the frames.


I'm not calling this "shabby chic" because I think it's a bit different and I know that many people (including me) are combining the distressed items with brand new.  Plus - I hate the term "shabby chic". 


Many of these items are colorful, unique and have a retro feel.  And, perhaps what I love best about this trend, you never have to worry about scratching the furniture!



No comments: