Friday, September 05, 2014

Shoulder Season Sweetness

A friend of mine posted a photo of the Rehoboth Beach boardwalk on Facebook earlier this week.  I was amazed at how empty it was!  We're having the warmest weather that we've had all summer and no one was at the beach!  I know that school is back in session and people are done with their vacation weeks and days, but I'm really surprised at how quickly everyone vacated the resort areas!  I suppose I should be grateful because, now, I get better parking, more room on the beach, and no lines anywhere!

El Galeon Andalucia docked in Ocean City, MD
Even last weekend, which I thought would be crowded with Labor Day visitors, was nothing near what I expected.  I finally got to see the El Galeon Andalucia in Ocean City and, frankly, was a bit disappointed.  It's a replica of a 16th century Spanish galeon and they did a really good job with it (it was built in 2009), but the modern-day touches (such as wood-look linoleum flooring in one part of the ship) sort of took away from the whole thing.  I know that the crew lives and stays on the ship, but did they have to leave their styrofoam take-out food containers laying around?  I paid $16 admission to see what I could have seen in my kitchen for free - cheap flooring and food trash!  However, it was a beautiful day on the bay and we got some great views on the upper decks.
 



Blinky the Fish visiting
Ocean City, MD
I also got to see Blinky the Fish on the sand near the boardwalk.  He was huge!  FXX representatives were there promoting The Simpsons Marathon with free Simpsons beach balls. When I returned home from my trip to town, I noticed that the freezer in my beach house wasn't freezing anymore.  We had been having some issues with the fridge for the past month or so and I was afraid that it was going to die soon.  I'm just glad that it decided to do it while we were there.  Thankfully, I was able to get a brand new fridge delivered the next day from Lowes in Milford.  I've only been in the house for 6 months and I've managed to break the washing machine and the fridge!
Waiting for my new fridge delivery delayed my departure time on Sunday, but it didn't matter much.  Once I got over the Nassau bridge, I practically had the whole ride home to myself!  I made it home just in time for a lovely North Wilmington thunderstorm and was missing the beach already.
 
I'm staying North this weekend because my daughter is using the beach house to host my future daughter-in-law's bachelorette party.  I wonder what large appliance will break this weekend.






No comments: