Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Beach-Goer Types - Which One Are You?

The more time I spend on the sand, the more time I have to spend people-watching.  I've noticed that I can categorize most of the people on the sand in to one of 6 categories.  Just for fun, I thought I'd share them:

 

1.  Sun Phobics:  These are the people who show up at the beach fully covered from head to toe in UV-Protective apparel.  They coat any exposed skin with sunscreen, then plop themselves under an umbrella.  I'm not judging.  Being a freckled Irish girl myself, I certainly know the dangers of sun exposure.  I just think it's sort of amusing to watch an entire family trying to enjoy themselves with the flaps of their UV-Protective hats flying in their faces as they huddle together in the small spot of shade that their umbrella provides.  I often wonder if they take Vitamin D supplements to offset the lack of sunlight in their lives.  I also wonder how uncomfortable those long-sleeved shirts are when they are wet with ocean water.  Yuck!

 

2.  Size 16 Squeezed In To a Size 10:  This really doesn't need a description.  You know who they are.  The only thing that makes this category more disturbing is when they are over the age of 55.  You can never "unsee" that.

 

3.  Bob the Beach Builder:  This is the guy who shows up with a canopy, cooler, chairs, blankets, towels, radio, sand toys, boogie boards or skim boards, three tote bags, and an American flag.  His "camp" is usually set up in under 5 minutes and his 12 family members will gradually join him at some point during the day.  At any given moment you will see, under his canopy, three women from three different generations wearing one-piece bathing suits from Costco, a sleeping toddler, a Pittsburgh Steelers beach towel, and at least one bag of Doritos.

 

4.  They're Sexy and They Know It:  Aaaah youth.  Tanned and taut.  Haven't had their first trip to the dermatologist to have "suspicious" moles removed, rocking their little tattoos,wearing their board shorts slung just below their "happy trail", bikini tops tied tight against their newly purchased breasts, and their bodies glistening with sweat and SPF 15.  They don't need chairs - just a beach towel so that they can sun both sides.  Seeing these perfect marvels of nature bring back memories of the 10 minutes I was like them oh so long ago!

 

5.  SCOPES Families:  Picture perfect Mom, Dad, and 2 kids show up with just the essentials for a fun day on the beach.  Upon arrival, they apply sunscreen to each other and the children, take a quick walk to the water to check the temperature with their toes, kids start building something in the sand while Dad reads the latest James Patterson, Mom checks her cell phone, kids want to go in the water, Dad accompanies kids in the water, they eat mandarin oranges (or some kind of beach-friendly healthy snack) while they dry off, then pack it all up and leave the beach in less than 2 hours.

 

6.  Beach Drinkers:  It's 5:00 somewhere!  This is usually a group of couples with a few coolers full of frozen "concoctions".  They show up to the beach later in the day (after noontime) and never go near the water unless they need to pee.  As the afternoon progresses, they get louder and more annoying.  These are the people who call for pizza delivery on the sand dune and all are wearing some sort of gold/silver jewelry.  Fun to listen to until after the third round.

 

I don't know which category I fit in.  I'm pretty sure that I've been in most of them at some point in my beach-going life (except for #4 - I still have a few years to go for that one).  Everybody has their own way to "beach".  And for that, I thank them all for providing me with hours of summer entertainment!

 

 

No comments: