Monday, July 07, 2014

Vacation Recap and Reviews: Claddagh on the Shore, Touch of Italy, and DeVitos Deli

It's so strange to be back home and back to reality.  We enjoyed a lovely 10 days at our beach house.  Hurricane Arthur threatened to spoil our fun, but only gave us a rainy morning on 7/4, followed by a wonderfully clear and breezy afternoon and evening.


I tried a couple of new things over the past week.  Some I liked - some I didn't.  Let's get the "not liked" out of the way first:  Claddagh on the Shore in Fenwick Island.  I usually give a new restaurant a break if I have a bad experience.  I realize that it takes a while to work out the kinks.  But I don't think being a new restaurant had anything to do with the horrible service and food that my family and I received when we dined there late last Thursday.  We had to wait 20 minutes for a table (even though the dining room was almost empty).  We ordered off of a very limited menu and waited another hour (yes you read that right) for our food.  When the server delivered our meals, we were given a weak excuse that the kitchen had to cook an order of 90 wings before they could make our meals.  If we hadn't noticed the other diners being served their meals well before us, we might have understood (but probably not).  I took one look at my very unappetizing burger and asked to have it boxed up without taking a bite.  I was fortunate enough to get it in to my trash bin just before I saw the sanitation truck cruising up my street the next morning. 


Now for the "liked":  Touch of Italy in Ocean City, MD.  This restaurant just opened a couple of weeks ago on the bottom floor of the Holiday Inn on 67th St. Oceanside.  I loved everything about this restaurant.  My daughter and I shared a spinach ravioli appetizer with a tasty garlic cream sauce, I followed that up with a chicken parmesan entrĂ©e that was big enough to feed a family of four, then my family and I shared wonderful desserts such as cannoli, cannoli cake (delicious), and Sfogliatelle.  Our service was friendly and attentive and, despite being located right next to a hotel lobby, the atmosphere was relaxing and comfortable.  I especially loved the olive oil that was placed on the table for dipping the delicious bread in and was thrilled to be able to purchase a bottle of it in the bakery/market section of the restaurant.  This will definitely be a "go-to" for a nice night out with my family or date night with the hubby. 


Another "like" from this past week was DeVitos Deli on 143rd St. (Oceanside) in Ocean City.  I had been to this little sub shop before, but was so impressed this past Saturday when I stopped in before walking to the sand to get lunch for my family.  The subs are really good, but the service is something to be seen (seriously).  I watched the cashier, Alex, work his magic taking orders, taking phone calls, ringing up orders, and keeping the orders behind the counter organized on what might have been one of the busiest days of the season for them.  The line was out the door and Alex performed all of his duties with a smile and a "see ya' tomorrow" to each customer.  I grew tired just watching him.  That guys deserves a raise!!


We took a quick trip to Berlin, MD one afternoon and enjoyed some unique boutiques and antique shops.  I was happy to find a few jewelry pieces at Victorian Charm and Ta Da Gift Shop, both on Main St.  Such a cute little town!


Fireworks were re-scheduled until Saturday at Northiside Park in Ocean City.  Since the park is about 10 blocks from my house, we took a beautiful sunset walk over and watched an amazing firework display that seemed to last a really long time.  No one seemed to be walking away disappointed and I'm already looking forward to next years show!


We decided to leave town very early yesterday (Sunday) morning to beat the awful traffic in Rehoboth.   I think we made it out just in time and we were back in Wilmington by 9:45 AM.  I think that I'm more tired now than I was before I left for vacation, but I'm still looking forward to heading back down again this weekend.  For now, I am loving the amount of sand that's accumulating in my trunk!









No comments: