Monday, July 14, 2014

Weekend Highlights and Duffy's Irish Pub Review

What a beautiful beach weekend it was!  It seems that we've been so lucky with the weather this season (perhaps I shouldn't brag - I could jinx it!)


Fridays breeze and bright sun was a perfect excuse to have lunch and frozen drinks on the Tiki Deck at Harpoon Hannahs.  We enjoyed watching the boats on the bay as we visited with my father-in-law and brother-in-law, who had just driven down from Wilmington.

Delicious Lunchtime Frozen Strawberry Daquiri at Harpoon Hannahs
Friday afternoon, we took the in-laws to the OC boardwalk to see the inlet and some of the sights.  It didn't take long for my father-in-law to complain about the crowds and the noise, so we took off shortly after we arrived.


Saturday was a good beach day (once we found a oceanside parking space).  We lounged around the house in the afternoon, then grabbed a later dinner at Duffy's Irish Pub on 129th St. (Bayside).

Boston Berry Boxty at Duffy's Irish Pub in Ocean City, MD


Duffy's offers a good range of typical pub fare.  But they also serve Irish favorites such as Shepherds Pie, Bangers & Mashers, Homemade Irish Soda Bread, and Boxtys.  Since I had never tried a Boxty before, I decided to give it a go.  I ordered the Boston Berry Boxty, which was a marinated chicken breast placed atop a potato pancake and smothered in a berry sauce with feta cheese sprinkled on top.  These are all some of my favorite things, but I was unsure about how they might taste all together.  I was not disappointed.  The chicken was tender and the sweet and savory mix of the ingredients was a perfect blend.  The portion was more than enough to satisfy any appetite. 


Duffy's has friendly service and a relaxing atmosphere.  It sort of reminds me of a neighborhood bar.  It's casual enough for shorts and a t-shirt and they feature live music on a regular basis.


Sunday morning started with some Fractured Prune ('cause I can't resist) and another few hours on the beach.  We spent the afternoon falling asleep in front of the TV watching the World Cup game, grabbed some sandwiches from DeVitos, then headed back to Wilmington to face reality once again.


We left OC around 7 PM on Sunday night.  Traffic wasn't too terrible - a bit congested through Rehoboth and Dover, but no stopping, just slowing.  I definitely like leaving late on Sunday.  It gives me an extra day to relax and the ride home wasn't as frantic as it usually is when I'm sharing it with all of the people who had to check out of their condos or hotels by 10 AM.  I'll give it another shot this weekend to see how it goes.


Counting down until Thursday night when I head back to the sand!



No comments: